The Ugly Horse Clock

By Sunday, February 03, 2019


When I moved into the flat I currently live in, I found a clock. It was an traditional, analogue alarm clock, the kind with the two small bells and a metal hammer that rattles between them and ends up being loud enough to wake the entire street when it goes off. It was a delightful shade of brown. On its face, there was a horse - laughing horse.





It was ugly, you guys. 





It actually got to the point that I couldn't stand to look at it any more. I had to dismantle it and hide it away in a box until I was ready to deal with it. 





Finally, the time came...









As with a lot of my projects, their progress ends up on my Instagram story. 









At this point, I wasn't even really sure what I wanted to put on the clock face. I just knew I didn't want to look at that horse any more. The more time I spent on this project, the more confused I became about who thought about pairing a laughing horse and a clock would be a good idea...





After a quick doodling session, I came up with this design: 









And busted out the acrylics... 






https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYnBCxA6Fb/




I am very inexperienced with painting in general (hoping to change that this year!) but it's hard to go wrong with messy, acrylic pointillism. 





Once dried, I cut it into a circle and started reassembling.









Finished! 









Could do with a glaze of some kind but I'm very pleased with how it turned out! It felt good to upcycle something that would have otherwise made its way to a charity shop, only to be never bought and eventually chucked out. 


Related Posts

0 responses