Skye

By Saturday, October 01, 2016


If there's one thing I really can't stress enough about this weekend in the Highlands and Islands (like I didn't mention it enough in my last post...), it was the ridiculously good weather we were having. It was October and while I had come prepared for rain and bitterly cold winds, we had beautiful blue skies. I think most of these pictures speak for themselves in illustrating how gorgeous Skye is so I won't write huge paragraphs like I am sometimes known to do... 


As it was so unseasonably nice out, we decided to walk over the Skye Bridge, which gave me the opportunity to grab some incredible photos - both looking back to the mainland...



...And out to the incredible Cuillin Mountains



Those who know me, know Iceland is at the top of my bucket list. Absolutely, unequivocally number one. Why am I talking about Iceland in a post about Skye? Because the entire island felt like a teaser for the country. Rugged volcanic features, vast open moors. I was struggling to pick my jaw up from off the floor. 



Every bend in the road led to even more impressive landscapes. 


The views from Dun Beag Broch - an ancient iron-age fort - were stunning. It was easy to see why it had been built in at the top of a particular hill; there was a clear view towards the Cuillin Range as well as an excellent scope of the bay. 


We could even see all the way out to the Outer Hebrides. (I think that's South Uist. Probably.) 


Suffice to say, I was enjoying myself.



On the opposite side of the island, we passed the Old Man of Storr - a rock formation that juts out of the Trotternish Peninsula. Storr gets its name from a folktale about two giants who were fleeing human attackers. They made the mistake of looking back to see how much distance they had gained and as they did so, were turned to stone.


I so wish we could have stopped so I could have stormed up there! It looks like such a good hike! Alas, coaches are not meant for such things. (Another point in favour of me getting a car...). Our actual destinations were Mealt Falls...


And Kilt Rock! 


Aptly named, as you can see. Mealt Falls plunge straight into the sea and we had good visibility back to the mainland. 


Skye's largest settlement is Portree and its harbour is iconic. Its name comes from the Gaelic 'Port Rìgh' meaning King's Port, possibly from a visit by King James V in 1540. 


It was fairly busy despite being outside of the tourist season too.


Saying goodbye to Skye was much harder than expected! It had been a whistle-stop tour but I absolutely fell in love with the wild landscapes. I will definitely be back (hopefully with the same wonderful weather and in a vehicle that can get inland!)



Related Posts

0 responses